Interim Choral Director/Church Musician
Title: Director of Music Ministry / Minister of Music
Overview: Create an atmosphere of celebration and reverence to God through music for all worship services. Lead and direct the Church music program to include Chancel Choir, Handbell Choir, vocal, instrumental and other phases/expressions of musical experience. Foster an innovative, blended style of music to enhance and support the worship message goals.
This individual or two-person team will serve as choral director and/or musician in a worship setting that has handbells, organ and piano available. The position will collaborate with and work under the direction of the Head of Staff.
Time: At a minimum, this position will require Thursday early/late evening rehearsals, Sunday morning rehearsal and Sunday morning worship. In addition, there should be some availability to play for weddings and funerals and special services as needed (i.e. Community Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Easter week services). The interim period will run from November 1, 2021 through May 31, 2022. There is potential for this part-time position(s) to move forward as permanent full-time employment or two permanent part-time positions, with increasing levels of responsibility.
- Provide inspiring and motivational music ministry during all worship services and programs/events.
- Lead the congregation, utilizing a variety of styles of music, including coaching for new songs unfamiliar to the congregation.
- Spread vitality and engage the congregation through the musical worship experience.
- Help bridge generational/cultural differences by selecting a balance of musical styles for every service which will, as a whole, have a multi-generational appeal.
- Assist in developing opportunities for young people to be involved in the worship service.
Music Ministry Leader
- Plan, organize and lead the music ministry in conjunction with pastor and other worship leaders.
- Rehearse with the Chancel Choir weekly, including Thursday and Sunday time frames.
- Rehearse with the Handbell Choir as needed but not requiring an additional day of the week.
- Teach, coach and mentor all music ministry team members to become life-long learner in regard to their musical talents and spiritual development.
- Collaborate with Pastor to select all worship music.
- Utilize technology to aid choir members with visual impairment.
- Work with Pastor to recruit and schedule special music to add variety to worship and to supplement in-house music assets.
- Arrange for and prepare music components for special worship programs.
- Participate in monthly in-person planning sessions and weekly Zoom planning sessions.
- Meet deadlines for publication and other logistical considerations.
- Maintain effective communication with Pastor and other ministry leaders.
- Acquire the music, equipment, and supplies required to perform designated duties in accordance with FPC financial policies.
- Manage the music ministry budget in conjunction with the Worship Committee and submit required reports, estimates and requests by specified deadlines.
- Accompany choral rehearsals utilizing the piano.
- Provide service music to include Preludes, Offertories, Postludes and hymns utilizing piano and/or organ.
Primary Instruments Available:
- Neo-Baroque Schlicker organ, 47 ranks, 3460 pipes
- Five octaves of handbells with a mixture of Schulmerich and Mallmark brands
- Baldwin Baby Grand Piano
- Richard Kingston Harpsicord
- Committed disciple of Jesus Christ, seeking to know, love and serve God and neighbor, and also committed to continual spiritual growth.
- Passion for inter-generational, blended worship.
- Ability to lead, inspire and engage the congregation during worship.
- Music background by education and/or experience and teaching ability sufficient to coach and guide members of the music ministry.
- Openness to music of all genres and from all strains of sacred music in a blended format.
- Preferably some experience in working in the church.
- References available that speak directly to required qualifications.
- Strong willingness to collaborate in innovative worship setting.
- Experience and willingness to engage youth, young adults and older adults.
- Experience and/or training in organ and piano – with proficiency in both preferable but not required for this interim position.
- Satisfactory compliance with all terms of employment as described in the Employee
Handbook and the church hiring practices – including a background check.
- Starting salary range will depend on qualifications and experience.
- Two week’s paid vacation not to be taken during Advent, Christmas or Easter.
- This is a part-time position and does not include pension or health care benefits.
You can view the full job description here.
Please reply to
Music Search Committee
Attn: Nancy Clayton
937 Main St.
Danville VA 24541